Google Is On The Move; Do Not Get Left Behind
July is a busy month for Google. Since Mobilegeddon on April 21, 2015, Google’s ranking algorithm has favored businesses who invest in a mobile-friendly website. Now, with Google’s new “Speed Update” algorithm, page speed on both desktops and mobile will play a role in your website’s ranking.
Additionally, Google is making good on their promise to mark all websites who are not using an SSL certificate as “not secure.” Depending on the size of your website, migrating your website to an SSL certificate may require professional help in securing personal data and building trust with your customers.
So how does Google rank websites, anyway?
- Keyword usage
- Site structure
- Site speed
- Time spent on site
- Number of inbound links
- Quality of inbound links
- Mobile optimization
Additional Google Updates (the good, the bad, and the free goodies!):
- If your website has a Google Map Advanced Embed and more than 100,000 visits per month, you may have to pay for that service. Effective July 16, Google Maps Platform is now offering tiered usage fees based on a variety of factors.
- The addition of a user-friendly performance card in your Google My Business account that highlights metrics on Views, Searches, and Actions.
- Google has increased their efforts to eliminiate link spam, and has effectively cut search spam in half. Good job, Google!
- Google is providing one free marketing kit with their #smallthankscampaign. If your business has a Google listing, visit this page to download your kit!
- Google Adwords is getting a brand refresh and a new name: Google Ads
Competition for search ranking is fierce, and requires businesses to keep dynamic, mobile-friendly, fast-paced websites to maintain views. Start by making sure your site contains a basic SEO setup, is mobile-friendly and passes a speed test. Make sure you are utilizing free services like Marketing Kit and Analytics. Whatever you do, don’t neglect your digital strategy.
Three Summers Creative demystifies marketing and delivers high quality website, video, and graphic design content to our clients. Go ahead. See what your business could be.